Magnificat

I don't know if Mary sailed blissfully through her pregnancy, never doubting, never fearing. I suppose like most of us she had moments when she was certain of God's call, and moments where she wondered and doubted. But in the midst of all of her human emotions she glorified God. She grew up hearing the Psalms sung in the synagogue, hearing the deeds of God told over and over again. And in a moment of joy she poured back to God all of the praise that was in her. The Magnificat. Inspiring composers over the centuries. Often sung with soaring instruments, associated with lofty cathedrals and vast choirs. But Mary, young Mary, spoke or sang it alone. And so I think this version of the Magnificat is my favorite because it captures the youthful enthusiasm of a flesh and blood woman filled with joy.






46 Mary said,
   "My soul gives glory to the Lord.


    47 My spirit delights in God my Savior.
 48 He has taken note of me
      even though I am not important.
   From now on all people will call me blessed.
    49 The Mighty One has done great things for me.
      His name is holy.
 50 He shows his mercy to those who have respect for him,
      from parent to child down through the years.
 51 He has done mighty things with his arm.
      He has scattered those who are proud in their deepest thoughts.
 52 He has brought down rulers from their thrones.
      But he has lifted up people who are not important.
 53 He has filled those who are hungry with good things.
      But he has sent those who are rich away empty.
 54 He has helped the people of Israel, who serve him.
      He has always remembered to be kind
 55 to Abraham and his children down through the years.
      He has done it just as he said to our people of long ago."  Luke 1: 46-55 (NIrV)

Comments

Popular Posts