Silent


I sit,
ready to talk to you again.
Looking for the art of practiced conversation,
give and take.
Speak and listen.
Words spill out so easily.
The thoughts that rattle in my mind,
hopes,
dreams,
a million questions
to answer.
Why?
Why not?
I don't understand?

Be silent,
they say,
be silent
and the answers will come.
But I can't, I can't.
My mind races on without me.
Shhhh.
What shall I cook for supper
and did I put the laundry in the dryer?
Peace.
I need to get payroll done today
and mail some forms.
Stillness.
Oh look, a cobweb.
And a dusty fan.
Focus.
My head hurts.

How do I practice silence
when my mind scampers down
a thousand rabbit trails?
How do I reign in me
long enough for you to speak?
Will I question forever
because I cannot learn to be
silent?




Comments

Popular Posts